Hair loss is an issue that both men and women face, either from aging or other factors, and can significantly impact confidence and self-esteem. Fortunately, techniques today can restore your natural hairline and even promote regrowth.
Hair restoration methods have reached many milestones since the invention of "hair plugs," the archaic form of hair transplants. Thanks to the advancement of aesthetic medicine, experts in the industry have developed new techniques, such as the DHI hair transplant method. This is one of the most innovative and successful techniques expert professionals provide at TechniFue Hair Clinic.
What Is a DHI Hair Transplant?
Direct hair implantation is the latest innovative hair transplant technique that industry surgeons use to combat hair loss and thinning hair. Surgeons use a unique tool called a Choi pen to extract hair follicles and implant them directly from the donor area into the hair loss area. The device can graft several hairs and inject them into the scalp simultaneously.
The process eliminates the need to manually create slits in the scalp. It is considered the gold standard of hair implant methods due to being a painless procedure without stitches or scars, providing natural results.
What Causes Hair Loss?
Hair loss is a relatively common occurrence, and although it is more prevalent in older men, some women and children also experience it. Generally, people lose between 50 to 100 hairs per day. Hair loss poses an issue when those lost hairs fail to grow back, creating a receding hairline or bald patches. Genetics, aging, hormonal changes, medications and medical conditions are all contributing factors. High-impact stress can cause hair loss, along with extreme hairstyling methods that pull hair away from the scalp.
What Are Other Transplant Methods?
In addition to the DHI method, there are two others: follicle unit extraction and follicle unit transplant. At TechniFUE International, expert surgeons perform DHI and FUE procedures. The FUT technique poses a more significant potential for health risks, so this service is unavailable at the TechniFUE hair clinic. Here is an explanation of each method and why TechniFUE does not offer the FUT method:
- Follicle unit transplantation involves removing a small piece of skin on the back of the scalp between the two ears. The number of grafts for extraction is limited with this technique, and it is not an attractive method due to permanent scarring that forms between the ears after the procedure. FUT surgery is quicker and cheaper than other transplant methods and is responsible for the "hair plugs" look. In addition to scarring afterward, possible side effects include unnatural-looking hair, hair follicle inflammation, pain, swelling, bleeding and cysts. The harmful side effects are why the team at TechniFUE opts not to offer this as a service.
- Follicle unit extraction is a technique created by surgeons to achieve the same result as the FUT method without scarring and other risks. FUE does not involve the removal of the skin from the back of the scalp. Instead, the process consists in using micro punches to remove individual hair follicles from the skin and moving them to where the hair is thin or absent, leaving no signs of extraction. The surgeons at TechniFUE elevate the procedure by utilizing special sapphire blades that improve accuracy and are more efficient, speeding up the process. The benefit of this technique is that it eliminates the need for wound care and mitigates permanent scarring.
- Direct hair implant is a newer and more popular technique that allows a speedier recovery time for patients with minimal scarring. Surgeons use an extremely sensitive and precise tool called a Choi Implanter Pen. The procedure involves the extraction of hair follicles in the donor area and implanting them into the balding areas of the scalp. It avoids the need to make incisions manually, thus there is no scarring. DHI implantations cover a smaller area than FUE and are an excellent choice for younger patients under 35, being a great technique for those with a small amount of balding.
What Are Differences Between DHI and FUE ?
The primary step in a DHI procedure is the removal of hair follicles one by one using a Choi pen with a diameter of 1mm or less. Next, they are implanted directly into the recipient area. The Choi pen's sensitivity gives the doctor more control over the newly transplanted hair's angle, depth and direction. On the other hand, during FUE, a surgeon makes manual cuts in a series of channels in the scalp for follicle placement.
Why Get a DHI Hair Transplant?
A DHI hair transplant's most attractive advantage is that the results look natural. It is the most advanced and effective hair treatment option for hair loss. Due to individual extraction of hair follicles, there is no linear scarring. Instead, DHI leaves smaller scabs in the area that have a faster healing time, typically within seven to 10 days. Other advantages include the following:
- Needle-free local anesthesia
- More accuracy and precision
- More density
Who Needs a DHI Procedure?
Did you know that over 50% of men over age 50 will experience some form of male pattern baldness? Men and women with pattern baldness (androgenic alopecia) are excellent candidates for a DHI procedure, and surgeons at TechniFUE recommend it for patients under 35. This is because hair loss for these individuals is not in the advanced stages, and the success rate is much higher. The DHI method is advantageous for these patients, allowing the determination of the dimensions and direction of hair growth according to preference. It is a highly safe procedure with a reasonable rate of obtaining higher density.
DHI How Does It Work?
Although a minimally invasive treatment, DHI requires a sizeable medical team to assist the surgeon during the procedure. With needle-free local anesthesia to numb your scalp, the surgeon will withdraw hair follicles from the back of your scalp using a fine-tip tool, loading them into a Choi pen and implanting them into the balding area of your scalp. The procedure generally takes about eight hours to complete, although it may vary depending on the number of follicles that need transplantation. Recovery time is shorter than the other methods; discharge typically happens the same day. After surgery, it will take time for new growth, and you will begin to notice full results after 12 to 18 months.
What Is a Choi Pen?
Invented in 1992 at South Korea's Kyungpook National University, the Choi Implanter Pen is an efficient and accurate device for the DHI hair transplant method. The pen-like surgical instrument has a hollow needle at its tip ranging in diameter from 0.5mm-1.5mm. A tiny motor inside the pen allows surgeons to extract grafts easily and precisely.
The Choi pen's efficiency and speed improve the hair follicles' survival rate during the transplant procedure. It has revolutionized the hair transplant industry and is a service the professionals at TechniFUE here in Turkey are proud to offer patients.
Where Are the Best Services?
The ultimate destination for the highest quality DHI hair transplants is in Istanbul, Turkey. The high standards for top-quality care, advanced techniques, and more affordable pricing than other countries draw people from all over the globe looking for hair transplant services.
At TechniFUE, top surgeons are at the core of these advances. The team has created the efficient TechniFUE 8 Gen tool that allows the completion of numerous hair grafts simultaneously. The tool enables the ability to cater to all skin and graft types to accommodate patients with excellent care.
How Can TechniFUE Hair Clinic Help?
The dedicated professionals at TechniFUE strive to provide a seamless process with top-quality care and services. Language translation and trip-planning services are available to assist you, along with a beautiful three-night stay at the luxurious Divan Istanbul Asia Hotel for your comfort during your visit. Additionally, TechniFUE Hair Clinic provides OxyVitalis treatment, needle-free anesthesia, and post-op and aftercare support. Begin your journey with a free consultation with a dedicated professional to learn how to get started.
Why Choose TechniFUE for a DHI Hair Transplant?
Chief Medical Officer James Wilson has over 10 years as a top professional in the hair transplant field. He is a pioneer in the industry and has helped thousands of patients reach their dream of self-confidence with his personalized service.
The large hospital where you will stay is the first and only in Istanbul to receive JCI Certification, participating in the Turquality program. The Turkish Ministry of Health endorses the program, which speaks to TechniFUE's reputable and high-quality healthcare services. Additionally, patients can enjoy the convenience of the nearby Sabiha Gokcen International Airport, a short five-minute drive away.
Book a Consultation
TechniFUE is committed to providing optimal comprehensive care during your DHI hair transplant. From the moment you communicate with the team, you will gain full assistance every step of the way. TechiFUE Hair Clinic will provide complete and thorough attention to every detail of your goal with practical advice to ensure you receive the support you need. Contact TechniFUE today to book your free consultation.